Here’s a question I’m often asked:
“Which is better: optimising my site for “free” search engine rankings, or paying for clicks on Google Adwords?
My answer is always the same – if you can profitably generate website traffic with both, it’s best to do both to generate maximum returns.
But you should also keep in mind that free search engines and paid search engines are very different animals.
Let’s look a little deeper so you understand the pros and cons of Search Engine Optimisation for the “free” search engines (SEO) and Pay-Per-Click optimisation on paid search engines (PPC).
SEO vs PPC
PPC (paying for clicks) is good because…
- It’s a very fast way to generate targeted traffic – you can literally generate visitors to your website within 10 minutes. SEO takes much longer to see results.
- You can easily decide where to send each visitor (e.g. if a visitor searches on “blue widgets”, you can direct them to your “blue widgets” product page.) With SEO, the search engines decide for you.
- You can easily test multiple headlines / copy / offers by testing ads in Google Adwords.
- You can easily drive traffic for a broad range of keywords. With SEO, you’re wise to focus on fewer keywords.
- Your website doesn’t have to be “search engine friendly” for PPC to work. (Websites built with “Flash” are notoriously UN-friendly to search engines, but they don’t necessarily affect PPC traffic.)
- You’re optimising for conversion results, not the ranking formula for a particular search engine.
- You can easily change positions on the page in order to find the best Return On Investment.
- Changes in “the rules” of Pay-Per-Click search engines tend to be smaller and less frequent than changes to the “free” SEO rules.
SEO (free traffic) is good because…
- It’s free!
- You can generate hoards of traffic for search terms that it would be un-economical to bid on with Pay Per Click.
- The long-term Return On Investment is often better than Pay Per Click. It’s slower at first, and the risk is higher if you don’t know what you’re doing, but it’s cheaper in the long term.
- Once you get good rankings, it’s relatively easy to maintain them with little incremental effort.
- You can build incredible momentum and dominate your market while your competitors bleed themselves dry trying to compete with you on PPC search engines as they pay for every click.
Conclusion: SEO and PPC both have their place in any online lead generation strategy for your business website.
But the Search Engine Optimisation field is riddled with mis-information and half-truths that can waste your time, blow your budget and frustrate the heck out of you, all at the same time.
That’s why I’ve decided to totally rework my audio program, “Search Engine Strategies for lead generation websites”. It will contain what I believe to be the most concise, most effective way to generate free Search Engine traffic to your “real” business website. And…it will be available for less than $50.
This new program will be launched on Tuesday 10th March at 12 noon AEST, but if you want to get access before everyone else, and gain access to extra Early Bird bonuses, you can join the pre-launch notification list here.
UPDATE: This program is currently closed to new customers.